Thursday, June 18, 2009

Writers - Turn Waste Into Treasure & You'll Be Well Paid

Recently, a number of blogs have fixated on the subject of compensating writers for their work products.

Some people argue that pay and performance should go hand in hand. If you are a true pro, you'll receive money for your ministrations, wampum for your writing.

Others retort that breaking into print, being published anywhere, is a form of payment. Especially for new writers, submitting work for exposure is a fair exchange, they contend.

I believe compensation isn't always given to us, but often has to be created, by us.

For example, this morning I received a very polite email inquiry that asked me to define "customer satisfaction." My initial impulse was to steer this person to one of my books that deals with this topic.
But then, I sensed there was an opportunity to say something new, and I wrote an article titled, "Seven Essential Elements of Customer Satisfaction." I sent the initial draft to the inquirer.

But just as quickly, I polished it here and there and submitted it to an ezine, where I have posted over 1,500 original articles. There, and through search engines, it will become a beacon to those that are seeking training and consulting in customer satisfaction, one of my expert areas.
Without taking the extra steps: (1) To perceive the greater in the lesser, to appreciate that a fresh article begged to be written; and (2) To go ahead and to write it and quickly post it; I could have "awfulized" and been immobilized by the emailer's request for information without compensation.

But, to borrow a Zen suggestion, I transformed waste into treasure.
You can, too.

One more thing: By redefining customer satisfaction this morning I reinvigorated that topic, rekindling my interest in consulting in that area.
If the worst bankrupt in the world is he that has lost enthusiasm, what would we call one who has had it restored?

If not rich, then at least we'd say he's well paid!

Dr. Gary S. Goodman is a top speaker, negotiation consultant, attorney, real estate broker, TV and radio commentator and the best-selling author of 12 books, including SIX-FIGURE CONSULTING: HOW TO HAVE A GREAT SECOND CAREER. He is the creator of Nightingale-Conant's successful audio seminar: THE LAW OF LARGE NUMBERS: HOW TO MAKE SUCCESS INEVITABLE. See:

http://www.nightingale.com/prod_de
tail~product~Law_Large_Numbers.aspx. His original class, "Best Practices in Negotiation," is offered at UCLA & UC Berkeley Extension and at a number of other fine universities and organizations.

See: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course1524.html
Gary conducts seminars and convention presentations around the world and can be reached at: gary@customersatisfaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment